|
|
|
Neosho Daily News - Neosho, MO
  • Neosho, East Newton superintendents discuss school cancellations

  • Area students received an extra day away from the books Monday, as school districts in Neosho, East Newton, Diamond, McDonald County and Seneca canceled school because of poor road condition in rural areas after this weekend’s snowstorm.


    • email print
  • Area students received an extra day away from the books Monday, as school districts in Neosho, East Newton, Diamond, McDonald County and Seneca canceled school because of poor road condition in rural areas after this weekend’s snowstorm.
    “Well, when you go out and drive roads, you have got some of your back roads, especially your dirt roads, that are pretty sloppy,” East Newton R-6 Superintendent Tanya Vest said. “There has not been a plow over them or anything, so it is difficult for the buses to get through and you have slide offs. Now the main roads have been good as well as some of the more well-traveled farm roads.”
    The same holds true for Neosho R-5 schools.
    “Well, we have noticed the back roads and a lot of the side roads here in town are still pretty hazardous and are still iced packed,” said Dr. Richard Page, superintendent Schools of Neosho R-5 School District. “Even access in and out of our school campuses is difficult.”
    As far as if students will receive another day off on Tuesday, that has yet to be determined.
    “We will probably will not (make the decision) until later on this evening, early evening, late afternoon,” Page said.
    Page noted that a weather cancellation line has been set up and patrons can call 451-8611. They can also watch the area TV stations or listen to area radio stations, visit the school’s Web Site at www.neosho.k12.mo.us or the Neosho Daily News’ Web site at www.neoshodailynews.com for cancellation updates.
    Vest stated that they used the School Messenger System, where an automatic call went out to the parents, faculty and staff notifying them of Monday’s closing. Also, area TV stations were notified.
    “We have not made a decision yet (about Tuesday), we probably will not make that until later on this evening,” she said.
      • calendar