Neosho Daily News - Neosho, MO
  • No injuries in Neosho house fires

  • The Neosho Fire Department responded to two house fires in the last two days.
    • email print
  • The Neosho Fire Department responded to two house fires in the last two days.
    The first fire, at 407 E. Hickory St., occurred around 4:37 p.m. Sunday afternoon.
    According to a City of Neosho press release, a discarded cigar or cigarette is blamed for the afternoon fire.
    Upon the firefighters' arrival, the home's garage was fully engulfed in flames and the fire had spread to the house attic.
    Firefighters remained on scene for nearly four hours, clearing at 8:11 p.m.
    While the garage and roof were heavily damaged from the fire, the majority of damage to the home came from smoke and water, according to the city's report.
    Total property damage was estimated at $30,000.
    The fire was determined to have been caused by an unspecified tobacco product that was discarded in a container in the garage. The container reportedly melted.
    No one was home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.
    Neosho firefighters were called to another house fire at 8:32 a.m. Monday morning.
    The fire broke out at a home located at 620 Pearl Street.
    No one was injured in the fire, though property damage was estimated at $10,000, according to a city release.
    The home's residents had reportedly just returned home when they smelled and saw smoke coming from their home.
    While the fire originated from under the house, the source of the fire was not available as of press time.
    Firefighters spent about an hour and a half on scene, returning to the station at 10:54 a.m.
Terms of Service

    Events Calendar