A Neosho police officer and Newton County corrections officer were recognized Tuesday evening for their heroic actions when responding to a recent structure fire.
Neosho Officer John Miller and Newton County Corrections Officer Jason Denno received Lifesaving Awards at the Neosho City Council meeting, after saving a woman's life on March 8.
Around 8:14 p.m., the officers noticed a small storage shed fully engulfed in flames, near the residence at 303 ½ N. Wood Street.
After reporting the fire, the officers reportedly noticed that the flames had spread to the south side of the apartment. While they were unable to extinguish the flames, the officers quickly entered the home to search for any residents inside the apartment.
They found a woman asleep in the bedroom, awakened her and escorted her out of the burning apartment.
Shortly after the officers and resident exited the home, the apartment became fully engulfed in flames.
"In recognition for your quick response to a structure fire on North Wood Street, in which you entered into a blazing structure placing your own life in jeopardy to save the life of a citizen," said Neosho Police Chief Dave McCracken when
presenting the officers with their awards. "You are a commendable representation of your dedication to the citizens of Neosho and Newton County."
The fire destroyed a nearby storage shed, partially destroyed the house, partially destroyed a neighbor's storage shed and damaged the siding on another neighbor's house.
While the flames caused some structural damage, no one was injured in the fire.
"The clear thinking and quick actions of these officers prevented the death of this woman and brought honor to themselves and their profession," said Newton County Sheriff's Department Captain Richard Leavens.
Leavens presented Denno with an additional award, on behalf of the sheriff's department.
Neosho mayor Richard Davidson also commended the officers.
"You can say things about the police department and the fire department, but when you actually need them, they can't get there fast enough," Davidson said. "They do so much to keep our citizens safe and this is a perfect example of how a life was saved because of actions of our PD and of Newton County."
It is unclear what sparked the fire.
The Neosho Fire Department responded to the blaze, and were on scene approximately three hours, remaining at the property until 11:22 p.m.
• • •
For more on Tuesday evening's Neosho City Council meeting, see Thursday's edition of the Neosho Daily News.