Free breakfast for all students will continue for the 2017-18 school year.

Free breakfast for all students will continue for the 2017-18 school year.  
The Neosho Board of Education noted that while breakfast will remain free for students, slight increases for full-price meals are necessary. Elementary lunch prices will increase by 5 cents, junior high and high school lunches will be upped 10 cents, and adult meals will cost a dollar more this year.  Milk prices will remain the same as last year. Applications for free and reduced priced lunches will be handed out when school begins. This year, OPPA! will provide food service to the district.
The Board also considered revisions to the Wellness Policy.  A wellness policy is required by the Healthy, Hunger Free Kids Act of 2010  Although individual school districts do not have to use the federal policy they are required to have a wellness policy in place by the time the school year begins in August.  Under the Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act, many items formerly used for rewards and at school parties, such as candy and other sweets,are eliminated.
At last month's meeting the Board previously approved a motion to rescind the policy and fall back to that used during the 2016-17 school year.  A wellness committee already exists so a motion was made by Board member Jonathon Russell to revert to the old policy and have administration craft the new policy.  The motion was seconded by Brett Day and the Board voted unanimously to set a new policy.
Although a new attendance policy was approved in the consent agenda, adjustments to the policy are ongoing. "We're working on the absence policy," Neosho Superintendent of Schools Dan Decker told the Board. "We'll try to have it in place by August."
One of the possible changes is to call parents after the 8th absence instead of the current plan, which contacts parents after 4 absences.
The Board also approved a sanitation bid for the coming school year.  Although four new dumpsters were added at the new junior high school, the additional cost was $400.
"It seems like on the sanitation bid we got more than we usually do and I appreciate that," Russell said.
A new tire bid for the district's bus fleet was approved during the work session held on July 10, approving the recommendation of Transportation Director Michelle Embrey.
"Last year we went with a cheaper tire and we paid for it," Decker said.
Updates on progress at both Goodman Elementary, destroyed by the April 4 tornado, and the new Neosho Junior High School were included in the meeting.
Demolition got underway at the Goodman site on July 5 and is expected to take about a month.  Current plans are to rebuild the school in the same location.  Goodman Elementary students will attend classes this year in the former 7th grade wing of the Neosho Middle School.
Progress has continued on the new junior high school.  
"We are still on track," Decker told the Board. "On the 24th (Monday) we will officially get the keys. Branco will still have people on site but we will be able to start putting furniture into the classrooms.  It's coming together. If you haven't been there in awhile, it's amazing what happens from day to day."
The official ribbon cutting for the new school is scheduled for noon on Aug. 3. Tours of the new facility will follow through 7 p.m. and the public is invited to attend.
The meeting ended so that the Board could go into executive session.
The next meeting of the Neosho School Board will be on Monday, August 21 at 7 p.m. at district headquarters.