Dozens of interested citizens took the opportunity Thursday evening to see the proposed plans for road improvements within Neosho’s Transportation Development District (TDD) during an open house-style public meeting hosted in the Lampo Community Center by the Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT).
Jennifer Thomas, project manager, said after hearing comments from the public, MoDOT will continue working on the developing the final plans.
“The plan is for this to be in our November letting, which means that’s when contractors will be bidding on it,” she said. “That looks at an award date of December or January to a contractor, and then into construction next spring.”
Thomas said MoDOT is investing about $2.4 million into the about $6.6 million project.
“By building the outer roads, we’ll be able to pull some traffic off of [U.S.] 60, and it lengthens the life of 60 itself,” she said. “Pulling some traffic off of it, that’s just less widening we have to do on that road. We’re just trying to work with what we have as long as we can.”
Steve Roark, TDD board chairman, said the TDD still has a couple of steps to take to ensure the project is completed, but those are mostly mechanical. He said financing must be finalized, “And things are going to start happening very quickly I think.”
Roark said he feels most people are now on board with the project.
“I think the enthusiasm for this is going to continue to really build momentum,” he said.
Roark concluded that Thursday’s session was the final public hearing on the TDD, “to get the last input from the public and get their questions answered, and take an concerns they have into play.”
Project priorities and estimates
Overall budget: $6.9 million
Intersection improvements at U.S. 60 and Kodiak Road: $933,637
Budget for remaining projects: $5,966,363
Base project Items
• New Intersection at U.S. 60 and Adams Drive
• Laramie Lane Extension to Rocketdyne
• New Intersection at U.S. 60 and Laramie Lane
• Hale McGinty Extension to Adams Drive
• Adams Drive from U.S. 60 to North Outer Road
• North Outer Road from Kodiak to Hale McGinty
• North Outer Road from Hale McGinty to Lusk
• Adams Drive from U.S. 60 to South Outer Road
• South Outer Road from Kodiak to Adams Drive
• South Outer Road from Adams Drive to Industrial Drive
Total base project estimate $5.4 million
• Signalization of Intersection at U.S. 60 and Adams Drive $400,000
• Signalization of Intersection at U.S. 60 and Laramie Lane $450,000
• Intersection Improvements at Waldo Hatler and Hale McGinty $200,000
• Intersection Improvements at Waldo Hatler and Kodiak Road $150,000
Total project estimate, including additional alternates $6.6 million