An early Sunday morning fire has displaced some families.

An early Sunday morning fire has displaced some families.
The Neosho Fire Department received a call at  6 a.m. on Sunday for a structure fire at 3535 Beaumont Street. On arrival units found fire coming from the upstairs northeast apartment and attic area of Building C of the Hampton Apartments.  Neosho Police Department assisted with evacuation of the families in Building C. Fire crews made the initial attack through the apartment stairway and ladder operations was set up to help with fire spread through the attic. Units from Redings Mill Fire Department and Goodman Fire Department provided assistance with extinguishing the fire. American Red Cross was called to help with the immediate needs of the families displaced.
The Missouri State Fire Marshall was called in to assist with the investigation. The State Fire Marshall has ruled it accidental, due to discarded smoking materials.
"I have lived here for almost three years," said Cassandra Snow. "I woke up to smoke, my whole room was filled with smoke. It was about 5:50 a.m. I woke up, it was kind of like a dream that I really didn't know what was going on, then I started coughing, I looked up and saw smoke everywhere. My son has a nightlight in his room, so I could see the smoke floating around, so I jumped up, I ran out to the kitchen to see if there is a fire going, I didn't see a fire, so I ran to my son's bedroom, I grabbed him and put a blanket over his face and ran him outside. Then when I got him outside, that is when I saw the fire, it was on my balcony."
Due to fire damage to the building, electrical power was lost to 16 units. One unit was completely destroyed, one with moderate damage, one with heavy water damage and one with minor water damage. Four  units received very minor smoke and water damage. The remaining eight units lost power and will remain off until repairs to the electrical system for the building can be made.
"We arrived on scene about 7 a.m. Sunday, we had a couple of people on scene and then we called in extra folks to be able to help these folks that had been displaced by this disaster, this fire," said Julie Stolting, disaster program specialist for the American Red Cross. "So we are giving them (tenants) immediate needs just to try to help them get through the day."
No injuries were reported and all occupants accounted for.
Asked how pleased Snow was for the help from the American Red Cross and local emergency crews, she said very appreciated.
"They (Red Cross and fire and police) were awesome, it is really nice to see how everyone comes together," said Snow. "You see this stuff all over the news all of the time, and you just don't think that it is going to happen to you. And when it does, it is overwhelming the amount of people that come in and help. I actually had a lady who lives here in the apartment here I have never met before, she went bought my son an outfit, brought him food, some milk and it is overwhelming to see like everybody come together and help out."
The fire was called under control at 7:03 a.m. Empire Electric was called to assist with turning power off to the building.
All emergency units cleared at 9:52 a.m. and property was turned back over to management (Fairway Management, Columbia, Mo.  manages the apartments) and occupants were allowed to return and gather belongings for those units not heavily affected.