When Mike and Becky Wiley, of Neosho, left for a month in Hawaii, little did they know it would be a vacation unlike any other.

When Mike and Becky Wiley, of Neosho, left for a month in Hawaii, little did they know it would be a vacation unlike any other.
The Wiley's left Neosho on Jan. 3 to see and stay with their son and daughter-in-law, Scott, a college professor, and Jill, a business woman, who live in Hawaii. Very soon, they were enjoying their tropical vacation with white sands, warm breezes and ocean waves.
Using their son's car, they were soon touring on their own. Then, on Jan. 13, just 10 days after leaving Neosho, they were on a driving tour on the island of Oahu. Just as they were getting into Scott's car to continue their tour, both their cell phones went off, making a strange loud noise.
Mike asked Becky what the noise was and she replied that it was probably an Amber Alert.  But when they looked at their phones, they saw a scary message. The message read, "Emergency Alert - BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL."
Then Mike got a call from his son who told him to come back to the apartment. Quickly they made their way back to Scott's.
Everywhere people were rushing around. When they arrived at the apartment building, a girl told them to use the stairs, but since Scott lived on the top floor, they opted for the elevator.
At the apartment Scott was filling sinks and tubs with water as the people had been instructed to do. Jill was on a business trip to the mainland so Mike, Becky, Scott and Scott's dog, Neville, went to a storage unit that was in the center of their floor of the apartment house.
Becky said it was a scary time and everyone felt it was the real thing. She kept telling herself that there were several islands, so maybe it would miss them and, in fact, miss all together. They all worried about the ramifications that would follow a missile attack on the United States.
Becky and Scott were making phone calls to relatives and wondering if that would be their last contact. Mike was checking the University of Kansas basketball score.
 About 38 minutes after the alarm, they got word that it was a mistake. According to the Wylies, the general public in Hawaii was very mad. "The news people would repeatedly ask who sounded the alarm," Becky said.
The only answer they got from the director of the agency was that he was taking full responsibility. That did not set well with the public.
The Wylies did have a great vacation during their four weeks in Hawaii.
"We went ahead and went driving that same day. We didn't let those scary moments dampen our trip." Becky said. "We enjoyed every minute there. Well, maybe not so much the 38 minutes in the storage unit."