Follow the link to see this week’s suggestions, which include the Kentucky Derby, “The Avengers” and more. What are you planning to do this weekend?
1. Saturday is the Kentucky Derby, so get your mint juleps ready and prepare for an afternoon of fun. You can hold a party for the event and recommend that people wear fun hats – as they do at Churchill Downs - and you can serve the above-mentioned mint juleps. If you want to wager on the race, head to the nearest OTB.
2. Saturday also is Free Comic Book Day, a day when many comic shops around the U.S. offer a free comic to those who come in the store. Check around to see if any shop near you are participating. For more information, go to the official website of the day, http://www.freecomicbookday.com/.
3. If you’re still looking for a Saturday activity, the day also is National Scrapbooking Day and National Homebrew Day. So if you’re not into horses or comics, perhaps try one of these events. Check around to see if any places are holding scrapbooking or homebrewing events, or hold your own event.
4. “The Avengers,” Marvel’s superhero-collaboration movie – starring Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, the Hulk, Black Wido and more – kicks off the “summer” movie season when it opens Friday. It’s rated PG-13.
5. And don’t forget about other sports: The NBA and NHL playoffs are taking place right now, and MLB and soccer are in full swing. Check the league’s website for schedule information.
GateHouse News Service